Tuesday, September 16, 2008

And people ask me Why !!!

Over the last few months I've been bombarded with the 'Why are you going back?' question. My response which is usually along the lines of 'I want to live with my family' doesn't seem to satisfy them. The incredulous look that they give me is often followed by something like:

  • You're crazy dude ... who wants to go back to that hell hole.
  • Or ... Are you sure that you've thought through this properly?
  • Or ... Are you having immigration issues?
  • And ... I'm sure you'll realize you're making a mistake and come back running after a few months.
All of that is usually said with a smug and/or arrogant look on their face. They like telling me about countless Pakistanis who went back and then decided later that they had made a mistake. I obviously being quite stubborn have stood my ground and insist that me and my situation WILL be different.

There have been only a few people who actually actually understood this urge of mine to move back to Pakistan. And I'm really grateful for that. I got the much needed support from them. After living here for almost six years, Dallas seems more like home than ever. All the quaint little oddities of this town, the dismal performance of the Dallas Mavericks and fun filled memories seem so endearing now. Playing golf every weekend, RV trips to Colorado, hanging out with great friends, road trips on long weekends, having Wii Boxing tournaments with friends and the list goes on. Life seems so perfect sometimes and then as soon as I talk to my father or my mother, everything I have over here begins to look kinda mundane and selfish. I dont think I'll ever find contentment over here regardless of how successful I become or how much money I make.

So here, I'll tell you why I've decided to move back; In ONE line and a link.

I do NOT wish to end up like the guy in this blog post.

p.s. And since it's the month of Ramadan, please remember me in your duas.

3 comments:

younas said...

all the best and IA things will work out the best for you.

Anonymous said...

I feel you have made a good decision because professional opportunities will keep knocking our doors almost throughout all our lives, whether we are in Pak or abroad, but family especially parents may not be there for us always.

Anonymous said...

Having spent 10 yrs in North America, and having all family members from Grandparents to parents living here now - I can still honestly say "I want to go back". Not because o anything else, but because I miss that hell-hole :). I have recently spent 6 months experiencing life again in my hometown which is incidently in north-western pakistan so its not nostalgia and impracticality talking. Life sure is different back there, and in many ways better (and worse at times too)
Hope u r still enjoying life in Pak.