Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I'm a nomad .....

I've moved so many times in the last 5 years I've been in the US.
And I moved again last weekend and while I was lugging a huge couch up to the 3rd floor, I decided I'd write a blog post about my moving experiences that I might one day read and laugh about. Here it is:

Dates

Comments about the Apartment

Reasons for Leaving

Feb 2003 - Sep 2003

In Arlington, TX

First ever home of my own. I shared the apartment with my cousin and set it up (like a typical bachelor pad) It was a lot of fun and I did my first cooking experiments there. Being the place of my own, I’ll always have fond memories of the place.

One of my best friends from Pakistan moved to Arlington, so we decided to get a bigger apartment.

Sept 2003 – April 2004

Still in Arlington, TX

A nice place with a view of the pool. And the rent was soo cheap – it wasn’t long before we found out why. The apartment complex was highly subsidized by the city to provide housing for the less fortunate (read unemployed – I’m trying not to sound racial here) people.

The neighborhood was so bad I remember that I used to hide my laptop in my dirty clothes basket when I would leave the apartment because I was afraid of a break-in.

April 2004 – Dec 2004

Arlington, TX

Moved to a nice apartment complex. Decided to spend a little money on furniture to make this place look like home. Another friend moved in with us from Tyler but soon left afterwards.

My cousin bought a used mattress which was accompanied by tons of bed-bugs. After they spread out to all our furniture (and several failed fumigation attempts) we decided to trash all our furniture and move.

Dec 2004 – June 2005

Still in Arlington, TX
Back to a small apartment with no furniture.

I finally graduated and got a job in Dallas. Since my roommates were still in college, we decided to get a plan halfway between Dallas and Arlington.

June 2005 – November 2005

Irving TX

A really huge 3 bedroom apartment with a view of the pool again. We all pitched in to buy new furniture for the apartment and swore we wouldn’t move again – even though it felt like we were living in the middle of little-mexico. :p

Little did we know that God had other plans for us. One sunny Saturday morning, our neighbor burned down the whole building. Luckily I was able to get out of there in time with one shoe on and my work laptop. (my personal laptop died in that fire *sniff sniff*

November 2005 – June 2006

Irving, TX
The apartment complex gave us a smaller apartment that was available at that time.

Note that we were back at square zero without any furniture.

My cousin also graduated and we decided to split with our other roommate (due to differences in opinions) and we moved to Dallas

June 2006 – April 2007

Dallas, TX

A nice little 2 bed, 2 bath apartment in a predominantly white neighborhood with our own country club, lakes, jogging trail and a bar !!!

We bought furniture AGAIN !!!!

My cousin decided to move back to Pakistan and I decided to move to a place of my own.

April 2007 – Feb 29 2008

Dallas, TX

Still in the same neighborhood and living by myself. Life got a little boring at this time.

Got bored and when a friend decided to move in this area, we decided to get a place together.

March 1st – present

Just moved in this new place last weekend. It’s an awesome place and we again have a view of the pool!! We bought more furniture here – lets see how long this lasts.

Lets see what its going to be this time. I have a feeling it’s going to be soon !!!

No comments: