Sunday, March 15, 2009

random tidbits

I haven't blogged for quite some time now ... On several occasions I have started writing, but then due to my really short attention span, I would drift on to something else, leaving several unfinished blog posts in my drafts folder.

  • So, here's what I'm going to do ... I'll write several small blog posts -- in bullet form just like this !!!

  • See .... wasn't that short and sweet ? :p

  • I totally love playing tennis now (the real tennis -- not the one on Wii) ... A friend of mine talked me into taking lessons last month and now I can't get enough of it. My weekdays are crazy busy, but I've been able to manage to play tennis atleast twice during the week. Plus I've got a hookup at the Royal Rodale club in DHA which allows me to play for FREE on their rooftop tennis court :D

  • The Pakistani TV scene isn't that good, there aren't many good Pakistani TV shows and Lollywood is -umm- lollywood. So it seems like the news channels have zeroed into this gap and are providing 24 hour entertainment to the Pakistani public. They've taken reality show fad a step further by letting the politicians be the actors in their shows. And it's probably cheaper as well, since the politicians don't ask for money after blabbering incessantly on the microphone for hours. It's just STUPID that everybody in the political scene is fighting for power. The roadblocks and marches and traffic jams -- WITHOUT ANY REGARD to the needs, problems and issues of the normal public. It's just SICK.

  • I've discovered libertybooks.com, I ordered Guy Kawasaki's 'Reality Check' online, and the book arrived within two days -- and I was able to pay cash on delivery!! Hail to the e-commerce in Pakistan.

  • I attended the most down to earth and sanest wedding I've ever seen. My cousin got married this weekend and it was elegant as well as simple. That includes all the wedding dinners and dholkis etc. Since I'm not that big fan of overly crowded events and places, I ususally do not like weddings and the tremendous amount of socializing that goes along with it. This one was pretty decent with a nice crowd.

  • I saw Jim Carrey's 'Yes Man' movie yesterday. It made me re-think about all the times I've been saying 'NO' to so many opportunities around me lately. The movie is okay, but it does make you think.

  • These days I'm totally obsessed with this old song that came out when I was a teenager. It's called 'Bolo Bolo tum ney kia dekha' by Sajjad Ali. I like this unplugged version better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vbrb6HEFaw

  • I really need a vacation. I've been working non-stop ever since I got here 6 months ago. Pakistani holidays don't coincide with American holidays and vice versa so it's been like a continuous run.

  • The new facebook layout is confusing -- but then, that happens every time they change something. We all get used to it after a few days.

2 comments:

JDèé said...

Dude, tell me about that hookup at Royal-Rodale. I want free tennis too. And I also want a sane, down-to-earth and boring wedding so tell me about that as well. :P

Arf said...

Yar the free hookup actually cost me Rs.4000 in the form of tennis lessons. Since I went there a couple of times every week for the classes, people @ Royal Rodale started assuming I actually a member :D

Oh and the sane wedding stuff is highly sensitive information that is best not shared in the blogosphere.